As the end of the lease approaches, you need to discuss the renewal or termination of the lease with your landlord. If you want to move out of your apartment or house, you need to give notice to your landlord. Check your lease to see how much notice is needed and how it must be delivered. Your notice to the landlord should be in writing and sent by certified mail or delivered in person.
Moving out Follow the moving out procedures in your lease to make sure that your responsibilities for the apartment are finished before you leave.
• Give your landlord - in writing - your new address or a forwarding address for receiving mail.
• Remove all your belongings and trash.
• Clean the apartment. Arrange to turn off or transfer the utilities that are in your name.
• Return the apartment to the way it was when you moved in.
• Walk through the apartment with the landlord and review the checklist and photos of when you moved in. Have the landlord sign the checklist.
• Take new photos if there have been changes.
• Lock all doors and windows. Then return your keys to the landlord.